Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sweet and Sauerbraten


Tonight I made one of our favorite easy meals. I've been making this for about 3 years. It is a spin on a traditional German dish, sauerbraten. The original dish has some great history behind it and has been altered many times over the centuries. For all the details check it out on Wikepedia here.

According to Wikepedia, this dish is traditionally marinated for several days in a cupboard. It was once used with horse meat. Eek! It is also supposed to be very good with venison because the vinegar in the marinade takes out the game taste of the meat. I might be willing to try that sometime, but frankly I have been completely content with my easy to find and inexpensive round steak and I don't marinate mine at all. I'm sure my German ancestors would be appalled, but I found this recipe from Beth Grambell on Food.com in 2009 and the recipe below is my very slightly altered version. I've been making it about once a month since. No complaints from anyone at our table that has tried it. 

Please note: If you are looking for a "real thing" recipe straight from Germany then you should probably look at this recipe on cooks.com. It matches well with the Wikipedia description and the person who submitted the recipe clearly knows her stuff on the subject. If you're like me and need an easy to the table version, with the taste of German sauerbraten, but on a budget, with time constraints, try this one. 

Hoosier Sweet and Sauerbraten 

Alright, if you're still reading you are in for a "lick the platter clean" meal! Let's get with making this easy dish. I took a few photos tonight. Again, keep in mind that I am not a food stylist. I just think pictures help motivate me. 

Step 1: Gather your ingredients.

1-2 lb. package of steak. -  I usually pick up what I can get the best deal on. The following pictures show Eye of Round Steaks that I got on sale. I've used Top Round, Bottom Round, and even Sirloin Steaks. You will notice that I have sliced these into strips. This is a personal preference. You can cube or make individually sized portions as well.

1-2 Tablespoons of oil or shortening. - I typically use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for this, but you could use vegetable, corn, or canola oil. Even lard or shortening would work. Whatever you have on hand is fine. You are just searing the meat with it.

2 Packages of Brown Gravy Mix. -  When it comes to dry mix packages, I'm a big fan of McCormick's brand. You'll notice that is not what is pictured below. What can I say? I picked these up 2/$1.00 at Family Dollar on my way home from a LONG trip today. They worked JUST FINE. 

4 cups of cold water. 

4 Tablespoons of white vinegar

4 Tablespoons of brown sugar

2 Tablespoons of Minced Onion - I like the flavor that the dehydrated type you get in the spice aisle gives to this dish. If you don't have that, I would probably double the amount of a standard fresh white or yellow onion.

1 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of pepper

1 teaspoon of ginger

2 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce- There is a must. There are so many flavors present in this sauce that there just really isn't a substitute.

1 teaspoon of Better than Bouillon Beef Base - This is my own addition. I LOVE these bases added to recipes. They add a rich, deep flavor that makes all the difference in the world.

2 bay leaves



Step 2: Heat the oil.

Find a nice deep skillet with a lid to use for this. I'm a Calphalon Girl. This is an "Everyday Pan." They picked a good name for it because I do use mine every day. I've had it for about 8 years and I still love it! It looks sort of like a wok. Below is a photo of the olive oil getting hot on one notch past medium high on my oldie but goodie GE Electric Range. Once it pops when a sprinkle of water goes in, you’re ready to sear that meat.




Step 3: Sear the meat.

Drop your steaks, cubes, or slices in to the hot oil. Use a spatula to turn the pieces so that they are evenly browned.



Step 4: Remove the meat.

When your beef, or venison if that is your meat of choice, is fully browned, you'll be removing the meat to a plate. Just leave the drippings in the pan.



Step 5: Make the Gravy.

Empty your two packages of brown gravy mix into your frying pan.



Then pour in a total of 4 cups of cold water. 


Use a whisk to stir constantly until you have this at a full boil.




Step 5: Add all the rest!

Now you are ready to add the white vinegar, brown sugar, minced onion, salt, pepper, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, Better Than Bouillon beef base, and the two bay leaves. Oh! Don't forget to put the meat back in. Then cover your pan and reduce your heat to low. 




Step 6: Thicken it up!

All that is left is letting this mixture simmer for about an hour and a half. Stir occasionally to see where you are with the thickening process. This gives the meat time to become soft and tender and the gravy to become nice and thick. Once it is finished I serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. This particular night it was corn. You may also want to add a roll or buttered bread. This is one of those dishes that you will want to "sop" up every last drop from your plate. It is slightly sweet and tangy deliciousness! 





Guten Appetit!

I hope your family will enjoy this as much as we do. Let me know how you like it, and always, let me know of any improvements you make!

No comments:

Post a Comment